The Mango Stand

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Shakespeare in Cincinnati

Lately, I've been dragged to not one but two area Shakespeare productions, and I loved them both. (I especially love the fact that, there are at least two professional theater companies downtown doing Shakespeare at the moment. This may be old news to some people, but it's news to me.)

The two I've seen were Cincinnati Shakespeare's production of Troilus and Cressida and Ovation Theater Company's Macbeth, at the Aronoff. They were both very good, but Macbeth really floored me. Done in the round, with minimal sets and props, the acting really shone through, and was just awesome. The three principals all nailed their parts--Jeff Groh as MacBeth, Andrea Sayre-Brook as Lady MacBeth, and Michael Sherman as MacDuff. Of the three I thought Groh really shone through, especially when he started going insane. Liza Forrester as Hecate stole every scene she was in, however--she's a student mezzo-soprano from CCM, and at one point she sang her part (I still have chills).

I had forgotten about how many of my favorite Shakespeare lines are from MacBeth--"Out, out, damn spot!," "Is this a dagger I see before me," and "Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" and so on.

Well, I had fun. Troilus ended its run a while ago (Cincinnati Shakespeare has moved on to Much Ado About Nothing), but Macbeth is still playing. If you get a chance, go.

3 Comments:

  • Supposedly a student once dismissed Hamlet as "just a string of famous quotes strung together."

    By Blogger Mark, at 7:30 PM  

  • The Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival will be presenting Titus Andronicus Oct. 27-Nov.13th, 2005.

    This Halloween there will be...REVENGE.

    Check us out at www.cincyshakes.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:05 PM  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a important macbeth quote site/blog. It pretty much covers important macbeth quote related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    By Blogger wbrant, at 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who Links Here